WORK EXPERIENCE 12 (WEX 12)
PACIFIC COAST SCHOOL
Work Experience is a school district-sponsored course; therefore, there are no wages. You will be earning course credits for WEX 12 (4 credits), plus gaining other benefits.
Students are covered by Workers Compensation (WCB), but students must follow the workplace safety guidelines and wear the appropriate safety equipment, or coverage will not be in effect. The School District provides liability insurance for Work Experience; however, the same workplace safety guidelines for WCB apply.
HOURS AND LENGTH OF PLACEMENT (Total hours required = 100 hours)
|TIMETABLE PERIOD||DAILY HOURS||DAILY TOTAL||WEEKLY TOTAL||3 WEEK TOTAL||100 HOURS
|Periods 1 & 2||9:00 – 11:00 am||2.0 hours||10 hours||30 hours||10 weeks / 2.5 months|
|Periods 4 & 5||1:00 – 3:00 pm||2.0 hours||10 hours||30 hours||10 weeks / 2.5 months|
Work Experience is a regularly scheduled course in your timetable. The only difference is that the classroom is not situated in PCS, but somewhere in the community. Therefore, absences for personal appointments or to do other coursework are not acceptable during the placement. However, if illness occurs, students must phone the employer and the school every day of your absence. If students begin to arrive late or start to work different hours other than the approved term as specified by the contract, the placement may be terminated.
Employers have the responsibility to maintain supervision during the placement. During this time, Miss Enns may phone and/or visit the employer to ensure that all is going well. She will also arrange to meet with you several times while you are at school during each placement.
Work Experience is evaluated as follows:
- PAPERWORK COMPLETION: /20
- Before paper – contract and rules guide handed in on time. /10
- During paper – logs handed in weekly and safety orientation done. /10
- AFTER PLACEMENT PACKAGE COMPLETION: /30
- Thank you card and evaluation form completed
- Content (how you say it, spelling, punctuation, etc.). /10
- Punctuality (done within one week of placement finish). /20
- EMPLOYER’S EVALUATION OF YOUR WORK: /50
- Thank you card and evaluation form completed
COURSE CREDIT WILL BE GIVEN WHEN YOU HAVE COMPLETED 100 HOURS AND HAVE COMPLETED ALL THE REQUIRED PAPERWORK LISTED ABOVE FOR EACH PLACEMENT.
|The deadline for ALL after placement packages is the Wednesday of last week of school in June. No “Incomplete” grade will be given; a “Fail” grade will be given if the packages are not done.|
- Complete and hand in your resume package by the required date. Your resume package is comprised of the following –
- Complete and hand in a Resume. It must be detailed and well presented. List at least two or three current references, providing name, occupation, business, address, and phone number. Be sure to ask all references if they will, in fact, be your reference.
- Complete and hand in the Work Experience Registration. You must have a working e-mail address (g., school, Gmail, or Hotmail) and must supply a parent e-mail address that is not the same as yours.
- If you are applying for a daycare or pre-school placement, you must be willing to submit to a Criminal Records Check. A CRIMINAL RECORDS CHECK WILL TAKE THE RCMP THREE TO FOUR WEEKS TO PROCESS. Some security related placements may also require a Criminal Record Check. Please see Miss Enns immediately to begin the Criminal Record Check process.
- Ask a staff member to complete your Teacher Reference Form.
- Sign and hand in the Work Site Oath of Confidentiality.
YOU WILL NOT BE PLACED WITH AN EMPLOYER UNTIL ALL THE ABOVE TASKS ARE COMPLETED AS REQUESTED.
- Conform to the stated Dress Code outlined on your Confirmation Form, wear the appropriate safety equipment when requested, and adhere to all safety regulations as outlined by Miss Enns and/or the employer. Work only within the range of hours specified by the Work Experience Contract.
- Handle all paperwork efficiently and complete it by the required deadlines. Your evaluation for Work Experience will be partially determined by how well you handle this responsibility and by how detailed and presentable the paperwork is.
- Maintain confidentiality as you have agreed to do so by signing the Work Site Oath of Confidentiality. Remember: “What you hear on the job, stays on the job.”
- Be at work 5 to 10 minutes before the start of each daily shift. You should be ready to work when your shift begins, not just arriving. Work through to the end of each shift as agreed upon and written in the Work Experience Contract. Display enthusiasm and a willingness to work hard, do a good job, and learn, no matter the tasks you are assigned daily.
- Expect the Employer to try to provide meaningful, productive work during the placement. If this is not the case, please contact Miss Enns immediately. REMEMBER: Much of the work you will be assigned will be “job entry” tasks.
TERMINATION OF PLACEMENT
Termination will result if a student:
- Is absent without an appropriate reason or illness.
- Is late more than once.
- Does not complete a full shift as indicated by the Work Experience Contract.
- Does not make a genuine effort.
- Flagrantly disregards safety and worksite regulations.
NEED ASSISTANCE OR INFORMATION?
Do one of the following:
- See Susan Enns at PCS.
- Phone Susan Enns at 250-624-5031 (CHSS).
- Leave your name, phone number, and message with Mrs. Wesley in the PCS Office.
- Leave a message in the white Work Experience basket in the PCS Office.
- E-mail Susan Enns at Susan.Enns@sd52.bc.ca.
- Fax Susan Enns at 250-624-2418 (CHSS).
- Text or phone Susan Enns at 778-884-2756 (often texting works better than phoning).
Please consider the following:
- Placement for work sites is on a “first come, first served”; therefore, be sure to hand in all your initial required paperwork as soon as possible and do all placement paperwork promptly.
- There is severe competition for certain work sites. Most work sites will only take one student at a time and will not take students back to back. The waiting period between student placements at a work site is usually three to four weeks.
- IT TAKES ONE TO TWO WEEKS NOTICE TO PLACE A STUDENT. Please keep this in mind as you select your work site choices. You should have five work site choices, and your third, fourth, and fifth choices should be as equally acceptable to you as your first and second choices.