Youth Train in Trades
Save time and money by getting a head start on an apprenticeship program while you’re still in high school!
Youth Train in Trades is a dual credit course that gives 16+ Grade 12 credits towards high school diploma and first year of technical training in an Industry Training Authority (ITA) registered trade program.
After completion of the program, the student will receive an ITA apprenticeship number and registration.
Grade 12 high school students, with good academic standing, who have not yet graduated and are still 18 years old after July 1st, are eligible.
Facts on Youth Train in Trades:
- You can save between $2,000 and $3,000 on tuition and fees if you take training through Youth Train in Trades because the School District pays for these fees.
- There are 7 different programs available between Prince Rupert and Terrace and they are offered in collaboration with Coast Mountain College.
- When you graduate, you can start working right away as an apprentice in your trade, often earning a more than decent wage.
The program offered for the 2018-2019 school year in Prince Rupert are:
The different other programs offered by Coast Mountain College in the area:
- Automotive (Terrace – September 4, 2018)
- Electrical (Terrace – July 30, 2018)
- Professional Cook Level 1 (Terrace – August 7, 2018)
- Heavy Duty Equipment Technician (Terrace – September 4, 2018)
- Carpentry (Terrace – August 13, 2018)
- Hairstylist (Terrace – February 4, 2019)
For more information on Youth Train in Trade, please ask your Counsellor or contact Susan Enns, Career Education Teacher: Room 311, email or phone (250-624-5031)
How does an apprenticeship work? Watch this video: